Monday, December 3, 2007

Insomnia


With temps predicted in the mid 40s tonight in Falfurrias, Tx but in the mid 80s by Friday, it is easy to get a bit depressed about being here in the city! But one thing is keeping me awake in spite of the forecast...the bird population is phenomenal this year! Richard, the man on the scene at Fal, rode the fence last Thursday evening and called with an estimate of 'driving up 40 plus covies of quail". Now Richard has lived in this country most of his life and is not known for 'exaggerations" so sleep is battling with visions of bird dogs on point "as far as the eye can see".

Regardless of the numbers, I have trouble sleeping before most hunting trips anyway, a trait I first discovered at the age of 7 when dad took me on my first squirrel hunt with my brand new Christmas gift, a 22 calibre single shot. Its still in my gun case! And the passion dad and I shared still lives in my dreams!

No comments: