Monday, December 10, 2007

Checking in

Dos Jefes without Sunflower!!!

With temperatures of 91 degrees and winds of 25+ mph, it was not exactly quail hunting weather this past weekend in Falfurrias, Tx. In spite of the heat and sunflower stalks dense enough to misplace a small city, the quail were everywhere! So much so that we lost count quickly. Our friends (Jim Brown, Gareth Cook, and Dalton Tomlin) estimated 80 to 100 covies moved in the 2 1/2 days of hunting...most birds located without thrilling dog participation.

One very bright spot however...Gareth Cook held tutorials on use of the new Garmin Astro GPS and I love it! In fact, Dolly De Lamont might still be lost some 900 yards away had we followed my instincts and gone 'South' to find her, when the Astro said she was 'Northwest'! I'm a believer!

1 comment:

Jim Brown said...

I have Bird hunted for at least 50 years and I have never seen anything like I saw this past week-end at Dos Jefes. Covey after Covey after Covey....Non-stop birds. The cover is treacherous and following singles is almost impossible. A good time was had by all. Bill and Sharon were gracious hosts. I really appreciate the opportunity to see that many quail and meet new friends.

JBB