Sunday, November 22, 2009

"sit" -- 'yes dad'!

I've often opined to friends that I would probably have been a better parent had I spent more time reading dog training books 'before' my sons were born. Unfortunately, they were in their teens by the time I started training my Brittanys and began compulsively reading everything written by Robert Wehle, Delmar Smith, and later by training beside Pete Thuman, Steven Harwood and a host of other talented people.

Each time I have made that observation, I get a strange look from people who then lecture me on the complexities of child rearing and my blatent insensitivity to the obvious differences between a dog and a child! Finally, I gave up on the idea and by the time my grandchildren came along, I had given up on suggestions of any sort.

Flash Forward to November 22, 2009 and an article in the New York Times has finally validated the potential brilliance of my long-forgotten suggestion.

The article, "Becoming the Alpha Dog in Your Own Home!" by Alex Williams suggests how simply watching TV's "Dog Whisperer" Cesar Millan has, for many, replaced a shelf full of books on how to tame an unruly child. It's all the same simple concept: how to be the pack leader in your own house..." A later quote from author Allison Pearson describes the obvious to every one of us who have witnessed the maturity and pride of a year old Brittany or Pointer or Lab when they get it right ... "Unlike modern parents, dog trainers don’t think discipline equals being mean. They understand that dogs are happiest when they know their position in the hierarchy.” The article also clearly discusses the differences and boundaries, but did point out "when you're wishy-washy with your dogs, they take advantage --- kids think the same way!"

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/22/fashion/22dog.html?_r=1&hp=&pagewanted=print

No comments: