Friday, September 18, 2009

First Dove hunt of the year!

Annie De Lamont


Email from Gareth Cook tonight. Super dove crop in Texas this year...longer season, larger limits and the normal opening weekend weather was a 'bit' better than usual! I love watching this great performer in action!

From: Gareth Cook
To: Bill Young
S
ent: Fri, Sep 18, 2009 8:23 pm
Subject: She remembered


Well, your granddog remembered how to dove hunt. Last 2 days she has retrieved approximately 50 doves, some to the dismay of the 3 labs and 3 Brittanys I was hunting near today. Turns out she is quicker than they, even in her relatively overweight and out of shape condition. You would have loved it. When the alarm rang at 4:00 a.m. (I was headed to El Campo...I have no idea how she knew we were to go hunting), she arose and went to stand in front of the back door. When we got to the field, early, she sat about 5 yards away, focused on me and whining because I was not yet producing any birds. Refused to go back in the kennel (thankfully, it was pretty cool) due to the shots being fired elsewhere, even though I had my limit by 8:00 AM. Apparently it was not her limit. As you know, having a dove dog was pretty important to me, and I was not sure that a Brittany would be that. Your assurance on that point has proven true and accurate, as has all the other advice and wisdom you have given me. Also apparently, she is greatly appreciative that hunting season has finally arrived, since she has not been over 6 inches from me, her meal ticket. I think that she believes that I produce the birds for her personal enjoyment.

No comments: